Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: From a Black Man who thinks

Groin Grabbingly Good Juan.Camaney's Avatar
    Thanks

From a Black Man who thinks

http://newyork.craigslist.org/about/...101606873.html

Text quoted verbatim incase link dies

I am awake. I am aware there is, and continues to be, racism against blacks. I have to deal with it just like any other black person. I am not stupid, or ignorant, and I would have to be both to pretend that wasn't the case. What I am saying is that the OP's ideas on how to deal with it are just plain wrong.

What I was saying (please re-read) is that black people who refuse to give credit to other blacks who have succeeded in predominantly white professions do none of us any favors. Successful black people aren't "Uncle Toms" - they're successful black people, and much better role models than the gun-toting, coke-snorting, bling-bling flashing, woman-hating rappers our young men so much admire. Just because they succeed in predominantly white areas, other blacks say they have "sold out". This is stupid. What we need is more blacks succeeding against whites at their own game, not less, if we hope to combat racism. To say or act otherwise is to betray your own people and contribute to many black people remaining an oppressed underclass.

I also didn't say blacks commit more crimes overall. That is the usual misunderstanding that people who don't pay close attention to what they are reading fall into when someone mentions a crime rate. I said a higher crime rate. Statistics indicate that, based on the number of crimes committed per 1000 of the population, a black person is about 4-5 times as likely to commit a crime as a white person is. What that does mean is that if there was as many blacks as there are whites in this country, and the RATE of crime remained the same, there would be 4-5 times as many crimes committed by blacks as by whites, and about 3 times as much crime overall. We should be ashamed of this.

As it so happens, even more shamefully, the largest single group of violent crimes in the US - around 40% - are black on black. How are white people responsible when we attack each other? Even Jesse Jackson said in one interview that there was an occasion when he was walking down the street alone after dark in Chicago and saw two young men walking up behind him. To his shame, he admitted feeling relieved and safer because they were white. This was Jesse Jackson talking. Keep that in mind.

And really - this crack cocaine thing. OK, maybe (MAYBE) it was introduced into black neighborhoods as part of some white conspiracy. I have heard people say the CIA was behind this. I have never seen any evidence of any of this, and if it exists I would like to, because I have looked. I would be the last person to think our government is trustworthy, but frankly, I find that whole idea laughable. The dealers selling crack to blacks are other blacks. I think it very likely the people who discovered you can refine coke into crack were black as well - dealers looking for a more addictive, higher revenue way to make money. And even supposing it was whites who originated it - why is it that it is now such a huge black problem, but comparatively minor among whites? Are white people holding black drug dealers at gunpoint and forcing them to sell crack in the projects? Are they holding the crackheads down and forcing that glass dick into their mouths so they can suck it?

Yes, I know that a lot of the crime is because many black people are poor, and some of that is due to white racism. But the worst of that ended 40 years ago. Frankly, these days a lot more of it is due to our people who are in families which are in some cases now entering the third generation where none of them has ever held a job. It's due to ridiculously high drop out rates. Did you know that across the country, the majority of our black kids don't finish high school? How are white people to blame for that? How are they to blame for the rate of illegitimate births in the black community as a whole being close to 70%? Is there a white person there forcing a 12-year-old black girl to have unprotected sex with her 15-year-old black boyfriend?

I am, again, not saying there is not racism. But these days, with legal recourse in the event of discrimination, with affimative action programs in place to ensure that minorities are equally represented, with, quite often, preferential treatment for blacks in college scholarships and admissions (for instance, I'm not aware of any United Caucasian College Fund), and so on and so on ... what's holding us back is ourselves.

When a black person succeeds in white society and we yell "Uncle Tom" and when we spend more time worrying about what some ass like William Bennett says about us than about our kids being promiscuous, violent, drug-abusing, uneducated thugs, we are shooting ourselves in the foot. I am not saying we haven't been badly treated in the past. But at least in this country, right now, we have a better chance to change that than anywhere else in the world, and in some cases (like college scholarships admissions) the deck is actually stacked in our favor. And what are many blacks doing? Mocking other blacks who actually use the system to get ahead.

The system doesn't change for anyone, white, black, yellow or whatever. The only way to make change happen and stick is to improve yourself as a person constantly, take responsibility for your own education and advancement, use the resources available, and set an example of success for other black people to follow. You can then take over the system by being better at playing the game than the people in charge.

That's what other oppressed minorities (Asians and the Irish, just to take the two most obvious examples) have done in this country. They did it by sticking together and working hard. Why don't more black people take this route too? Being successful in "white" society just means being successful in society, period, because we are MINORITIES. If we want society as a whole to treat black people better, we (as a people) need to start treating ourselves and each other better. Instead, when a black person is successful at anything other than the entertainment industry (in which I include sports) we cry "Uncle Tom". Again, it is really, really stupid.

As for your "blacks are oppressed the world over" - again, not so any more. These days, the oppression against blacks in Africa, for instance, is by other blacks. Whites don't govern those countries any more. And in Jamaica and the West Indies, home to largely successful and prosperous black societies that made the transition from being white-owned slaves, treated worse in some cases than in this country, without any of the help American black people have had, they look down on us American blacks and call us "cotton pickers". Their attitude is that we have more opportunity than any other black people on the planet, and we still sit on our lazy asses and point the finger at whitey for all our problems.

And you know what? In way too many cases, they are right. It embarrasses me as a black man that a lot of our culture glorifies crime, violence, stupidity and misogyny. It embarrasses me when those black people who refuse to speak English properly (again, something blacks in other countries don't do - you can't tell an English black from an English white by sound, for instance) stand up and yell about how other people have to change to suit us. ("Ebonics"? Was there ever a more stupid idea?) They sound like ignorant morons, frankly, and they make those of us who can speak the language and worked hard to get where we are look just as bad because we happen to share a skin color.

Too many black people demand that white people respect black American culture when right now we aren't offering them much to respect compared to the problems we create. Until that changes - and only we can change it - we can't expect an end to racism in this country.
    Any comments?

Thanks

Re: From a Black Man who thinks

That man has some excellent points. Finally some common sense!

Whoever that man is, he deserves many props.

Thanks

Brilliant article and a bloody good read. This guy has hit the nail on the head as to the exact problem that the blacks are facing in America. Sure the trend or 'in' crowd right now are niggers/wiggers who talk 'black' and live out the rap lifestyle - but when this drops out of fashion then what will all those people with broken dreams and hopes do? It will turn out exactly the same as those girls that were virgins because Brittney Spears was and then Brittney turned into a ho.

If anyone wants equality then they must be equal in all respects. Its only logical that if a Black man is as skilled and smart as a white man they will have equal oppurtunities at a job interview. If a black man presents himself as good as the white again equal oppurtunities. The black people are selling themselves short by turning to drugs and not getting and education and for that they only have themselves to blame.

They have fallen into a repeditive cycle and they believe that that is the only future for themselves. However to break the cycle will be easy in a America or any Western country - as long as they are determined enough to stick with an education as a few blacks have.

Overall I believe that that author has raised points that are not only applicable to blacks but to many other races around the world - who claim that they are oppressed and discriminated against.

Thanks

Whoever wrote this article is a bloody legend!!!!

Thanks

Very truthfully written article, It good to know not all people are blind.

Thanks

Very truthfully written article, It's good to know not all people are blind.

Thanks

this is exactly what I say whenever I talk about race. This guy is exactly right, just like Cosby was right a while back when he said the same thing. Just like Kanye West is a douchebag because he falls in to that "blame-whitey" category despite being successful (although in the entertainment industry).

What I noticed about that essay that was interesting to me is that despite the fact that the author is pointing all this stuff out, he feels compelled, no doubt to avoid the wrath of many blacks, to point out at every turn "Im not saying there's not racism". The way he covers his ass with that is just as telling as the valid points he makes because these valid points are so disrespected by the very people he's trying to reach that he has to be apologetic for it in the same breath.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3nigm4tic
    this is exactly what I say whenever I talk about race. This guy is exactly right, just like Cosby was right a while back when he said the same thing. Just like Kanye West is a douchebag because he falls in to that "blame-whitey" category despite being successful (although in the entertainment industry).

What I noticed about that essay that was interesting to me is that despite the fact that the author is pointing all this stuff out, he feels compelled, no doubt to avoid the wrath of many blacks, to point out at every turn "Im not saying there's not racism". The way he covers his ass with that is just as telling as the valid points he makes because these valid points are so disrespected by the very people he's trying to reach that he has to be apologetic for it in the same breath.
    IMO, he is doing that so "his own" don't call him a sell out.

You DO have to admit that racism is still alive and well...

Thanks

no question there is racism, and no question that blacks tend to use the race card way more often than is actually warranted by racism.

IMO, he is doing that so "his own" don't call him a sell out.
    and that's exactly what I was noticing, that he was covering his ass so the people he's trying to reach don't just disown him as another sell-out to the white man

Thanks

That man is shameless.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ff7799
    That man is shameless.
    Why?

Thanks

That man is shameless.
    Care to share why you think that? cuz that statement left alone is pretty much a smart ass comment which is warrant for a ban.

Seriously, elaborate why so many affluent negroes are agreeing more and more with that kind of mentality.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Juan.İamaney
    Care to share why you think that? cuz that statement left alone is pretty much a smart ass comment which is warrant for a ban.

Seriously, elaborate why so many affluent negroes are agreeing more and more with that kind of mentality.

Well Juan since you invited me to respond, I honestly think those coments are degrading to blacks and generalize way too much the negatives, I chose not to elaborate more as we both know that raving isn't allowed here, that man is definetely stereotyping my culture and I feel that his has no warrant to make the statements which he has made. Secondly I'll be the first to note that you indeed chose not to ban me for what appeared to be a smart ass reply however I simple didn't elaborate because the rules and regulations when posting outside of Both kick deeply into effect and rather than ranting or raving here which which definetly equal a ban I hoped to get away with posting a quick answer that I thought most wouldn't question however you are indeed correct that standing on its own it does simple look like a smart ass reply I will attempt to refrain from such actions in the future, I thank you for informing me of my error and not taking actions rather than informing me of my mistake.

Thanks alot and Keep the great work up as you are my favorite mod and all and ofcourse thats not a sarcastic comment.

Thanks

I really don't see how this mans thoughts can be portrayed as "degrading ". He just is simply saying what most are trying to get across.

Yes, there is racism in the world, but quit pointing the blame on a one race for the others faults.

I agree with alot of what he's saying. Why do some blacks insist on calling out other blacks who succeed?? They go out and make an honest living only to be regarded as "sell outs" to their own people. This is ridiculous.

Good read, and good find Juan.

Thanks

Well Juan since you invited me to respond, I honestly think those coments are degrading to blacks and generalize way too much the negatives...
    And when blacks (and other races, too) generalize that the evil "whitey" is trying to keep them down, is that not degrading to whites that have NEVER owned a slave, come from a family that NEVER owned any slaves, and has in no conceivable way tried to hold down anyone else? I am all for seeing everybody that is willing to work hard reap the benefits of their' toils, regardless of what their race may be. Rewards for hard work should be (and I honestly think in the majority of cases are) colorblind.

That being said, yes, indeed real racism does exist... it is a sad but true fact of life. It has existed for a long time and will not likely disappear into the sunset anytime soon until we all learn to grow some thicker skin, treat each others differences as something to celebrate instead of a topic that should be treated as too sensitive. Guess what? Whites of different groups (i.e. Italians, Poles, French... blah, blah...) have jokes that poke fun at their ethnicities. I have NEVER heard a Polish person whine about a Polock joke. At the end of the day, while we may be different in our own ways, we never the less share one common characteristic: we all bleed red.

So to anyone that would denounce this man as an "Uncle Tom", a "sellout", or whatever else, I urge you to shut the fuck up and take a good hard look in the mirror. What are you doing to help yourself? What is being done to hold you down? And, most importantly, what can YOU do to HELP YOURSELF improve your lot in life?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast