Closed Thread

Thread: moral dilemmas #2 the value of a promise..

Thanks

moral dilemmas #2 the value of a promise..

The Value of a Promise,

A friend confides to you that he has committed a particular crime and you promise never to tell. Discovering that an innocent person has been accused of the crime, you plead with your friend to give himself up. He refuses and reminds you of your promise. What should you do? In general, under what conditions should promises be broken?

Thanks

Re: moral dilemmas #2 the value of a promise..

If you believe in a higher being, you should rat' em out. A confidant isn't a confessional, in the end both people will need to come clean. Why risk you soul?

Thanks

1. is this friend bigger? scarier? than i am??? are they well-connected??

2. if it was that good of a friend, i was probably there when they committed the crime and i ain't dime droppin' on myself so i'd keep my yapper shut.

3. if i wasn't there, then they probably aren't that good a friend, especially if they actually trusted me with such awesome gossip, suckas! hehe, but they probably know enough on me that i'd not want to spill.

4. bottom line, i might leak info that would help get the real guy released while not ratting out my "friend"....depends also on the crime...

Thanks

In that situation I think I would have to turn my friend in. Even though I promised to keep this secret, I think you can't. It is more wrong for an innocent person to needlessly be punished for something they did not do rather than to break a bad promise to a friend.

A lot, for me, would depend on the harm done to the innocent person. If, for example, the innocent person were to be fined $200 (they could easily afford this fine,) I think it would be wrong to break the promise of silence. However, if the penalties would mean the innocent person spent time in jail I think it is better to break the promise. It is hard to draw that line. I don't think you can give an exact circumstance where it is right or wrong to break a promise, it is far to dynamic to be able to quantify.

jesterfest

When it comes to this it does depend on the crime and the punishment.

I'm of the mind that friends help you move and best friends help you move a body. It depends on the crime, the person being punished, the person who would be punished and the amount of severity.

If the person being punished is someone who deserves punishment (a repeat offender who may be caught for another crime as well) then I don't care as much as if it were a straight laced kid.

It also depends on the friend. The guy I know in passing and watch a game with on occasion is going to get rolled on faster then the guy who is their for me at three in the morning two years after my father died just because I needed someone to talk to...

Thanks

Your obligation to justice is higher than your obligation to your friend, no matter how close he or she may be to you. In fact, ratting out your friend might be better for him in the long run than if you kept your secret.

It is patently immoral to let an innocent person be blamed for an act he did not commit, while you hold the keys to justice. I think it might be illegal as well. If the punishment isn't that bad, you could offer to help your friend pay the fine. If jail time is involved, then your friend deserves it. Who knows, your friend might even be rehabilitated from the incident and receive some catharsis.

Thanks

Well, if your best friend is a good person, then your friend would not allow an innocent person to take the rap.

And if your friend is concerned you might nark on them, then they may just do something to ensure you never tell.

What kind of friend is that?

Sorry. Gotta tell.

Piel Morena

Hmmm this is a no brainer in my book, I say tell on them, why would you want to get involved in someone else's stupidity, it's not my fault that they comitted that crime, it really doesn't matter what kind of crime was comitted, most likely it was something big or else they wouldn't of asked you to cover for them. I say don't get yourself in deeper water, get out while the water is still at your ankles!!!!

Closed Thread