Closed Thread

Thread: Imus is an idoit but....

Thanks

Imus is an idoit but....

I think that Imus is getting really screwed in this deal. We all know that there are things you can say on a national program and things you can't. If he had said that to a small gathering or a dinner speach this would be a much smaller issue. He was suspended originally and should have been, he knew better. But everything beyond that is just a sign of how bad our double standard is these days. Why did it take so long before this became a big issue? I am not usually one to try and compare one wrong to another wrong. But in this day and age where the B-word is just as used as hoes or almost any other foul word in alot of music today you can't help but ask questions. If you are offended by these words then why does it matter who said it? If it is bad for a white person to say it how is it not bad for a black person to say it? And I don't want to hear "it's a black thing" or "its offensive for a white to say it" because that is how you try to justify the undefendable. If it is wrong, it is wrong no matter who says it. If it brings back ugly images of a long ago hatred why is not that way when anyone says it? Why is it Imus, who I never liked anyway, is thrown under the bus on this but other nationally known figures can use the same exact words and face nothing? Ultimately he knew what he was doing and has to take what comes with it good or bad.

Thanks

Re: Imus is an idoit but....

It's because Al Sharpton needs more publicity. Seriously.

The thing that bothers me the most about this issue is how they are making the girls basketball team out to be victims. It was sad to watch these girls, shoved onto the stage, forced to orate speeches they hadn't even written. They should have stuck up for themselves and said, "What he said was ignorant and stupid. But you know what? We are above that. We have many accomplishments and we will succeed in life." They should not have been so swift to assume the role of the victim. Unfortunately we are a nation full of "victims".

Thanks

race wars are a constant thing all over the world and the sad thing is that is the previously disadvantaged that are holding on to racisim as hard as they can
    here in south africa every time a white person speaks out at injustice we get shot down as racists for example our death by gunshot toll sits at between 50 to 300 deaths a day
    yes thats right 50 to 300 deaths a day and our goverment is telling us crime is under controll every time a white person says this is not acceptable we get told we are harbouring racist tendancys and we should just shut up
    every time some white person speaks out about zimbabwe and robert mugabe we get called racist
    not to long ago our safty and security minister said that "anyone who thinks crime is a problem they can just leave" and within a week our president said that our brain drain (all skilled labour is immigrating to UK and OZ) is leaving becaus they are racists
    our deputy president was up for rape when we asked that he be suspended we were called racists
    the other day i read in my local newspaper a rant from a guy from England
    he pulled up to a convinence store and as he was parking a new black SUV pulled up and parked in the disabled parking
    he said to her "mam you dont look very disabled"
    she said "so"
    he said "that spot is reserved for disabled people"
    her retort was "you think you white people can do anything"
    where that came from is beyond me
    it shows how the polititions (like al sharpton and his friend) mould peoples thinking by distorting things in the news
    we have been a multicultural society now for 12 years
    kids have gone through a whole school cycle without aparthied and still EVERY thing is blamed on the white man
    everything
    its just easyer to blame others than it is to blame yourself
    i am trying sooo hard to loose the racist tendancys that i was brought up on
    but everytime i ask a ligit question and get told shut up you racist i tend to loose it

so i think blacks want racisim so they have something to attack us with due to the fact that we are all supposed to be so politicaly correct. i see this political correctness as weakness and we should all just be ourselfs with no masks

i think this was ontopic but if not sorry for the rant

Thanks

So my question regarding the whole Imus thing would be this, "what about Limbaugh?"

the dude had a skit titled, "Barack the magic negro" and captain white supremacy exits unscathed....

Rules are fine, as long as they apply to everyone.

Thanks

I am tried of everyone getting their feelings hurt! What's more wrong than saying something derogatory towards someone is getting fired for it. CBS was probably worried about sponcership, who inturn was worried about everyones feelings. The constitution does not protect us from other's opinions nor does it protect our feelings, it protects our freedom of speech. Why not just fine him like the players are when they do something that is not so PR! And limbaugh should get in trouble for misrepresinting facts, not his opinions.

Thanks

I think the most interesting thing about this is seeing how it is playing out across radio as a whole with all different radio personalities being fined and taken off the radio for their shticks.

Thanks

In a play on words.. Imus is a victim of people rushing to be the victim.

Anybody follow that?

Thanks

My question is ... where does free speech end, and ignorance/offensive rhetoric begin?

Everything is subject to interpretation, as it always has been --> everything I say can be interpreted by someone as 1) pleasant, 2) offensive, 3) threatening, 4) encouraging ---> etc ... it all depends on WHO I'm talking to, WHEN I say it, and all one billion other contextual qualities of the circumstance.

It's very challenging to live in these times ...

Thanks

i didnt even think he said anything all that bad..

i would say that a statement like "i now declare war on iraq" is much more offensive and hurtful.

but thats just me.

Closed Thread