Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Racial Profiling

Thanks

Racial Profiling

It has been a while since I have posted here so I appologize if this has been covered extensively. I am wanting people's thoughts on racial profiling, specifically at airports. As more and more terror plots get busted, the profiles of the suspects have pretty much stayed consistent. So why are we still randomly searching grandmas when we could be focusing efforts on middle eastern men? I would love to hear from someone who opposed racial profiling but some general discussion would be great.

On an intoxicated little island in the north atlantic
    Thanks

Re: Racial Profiling

Well, racial profiling during the 80s/90s at english airports was based around stopping anyone from ireland, specifically single irish men - due to the northern ireland scenario.

Now its based more around those from the middle east, or with origins from there. However random searches for everyone have to be carried out, because if they only focused on one racial profile - the extremists would easily bypass that by finding an extremist 'grandma' to do their bidding.

Thanks

I am all for racial profiling (this may come as a surprise for some members ) Like you said, the terrorists that have been caught fill very close to the same profile. I'm not sure what else to say, would you rather have your girlfriend searched or the arab guy getting on the plane with you?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tuathal
    the extremists would easily bypass that by finding an extremist 'grandma' to do their bidding.

Don't you think that it would be more difficult for terrorists to find 80-year-old women willing to take down a plane? Because I do.

Profiling doesn't even have to mean ONLY brown guys. But I think we can all agree that searching old women is a waste of resources.

Thanks

No, i dont. Terrorists come in all shapes and sizes......i've seen it myself in northern ireland. A british soldier handed a box of sweets on xmas eve by an old lady......the box had a primed bomb in it.

Not all old folk are sweet. It might prove more difficult than finding young radicals.....but its highly possible.

Thanks

its not "racial profiling" - its "anti terrorist profiling", and it is based on a heap of risk factors and physical and verbal behaviours (as well as details of the flights, information held by security services, means of payment, name, address, etc) as well as just race. Bring it on!

Thanks

For me it depends what situation the profiling is happening in. I don't agree with cops pulling over a black guy for no apparent reason other than to try and catch him with something. In the airport scenario with the middle eastern people though, I believe it's better to be safe than sorry, so even though it may be a hassle to them, I would rather have 1000 searched and 1 terrorist found than only 100 searched so they don't feel discriminated against and the terrorist gets through. As for the random searches, I agree with tuathal, terrorists can come in all shapes and sizes, so I don't see anything wrong with it.

Thanks

But here is the thing... so far, terrorists have NOT come in all shapes and sizes. They fit roughly the same profile. And if we were to start emphasizing the searching of muslim men between the ages of 16 to 50, they may try to find someone outside of that profile to do their work for them. But that is good because when they go outside of their circles, then the likelyhood of others finding out about such plots increases.

Most people agree that profiling would help greatly but make the argument that it is not fair to innocent people that fit the profile and have to be burdened with the extra search.

I am a white 25 year old male. If I fit a certain profile of people wanting to kill large amounts of people, I would have no problem being hassled a little more if it increased my safety.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lorill

I am a white 25 year old male. If I fit a certain profile of people wanting to kill large amounts of people, I would have no problem being hassled a little more if it increased my safety.
    Timothy McVeigh was 28 years old, and QUITE white when he blew up the Federal building in Oklahoma City.

You do fit the profile of someone who wanted to kill large amounts of people, so I'm assuming you now have no problem with being searched at the airports.

Thanks

if it were tryed in south africa there would be hell to pay
    even calling someone a racial name gets you jail time(if you call a black man "boy" its jail time,definatly)
    everything must be equal

i think racial profiling might be dangerous as soon as you create a hole to exploit human nature will exploit it
    basicly what im trying to say is if u only search arab men age 20 to 50 they will send their granny

i do have a question but have islamic militant fundamentalists ever send children with explosives to destroy targets?

Thanks

I'm a white male, but I've been detained at airports twice because of profiling.

Once I was stopped at customs returning from a country known to be a source of drug-traffic-ing. After they didn't find anything, I asked the officer why I'd been picked. It was a combination of a young male travelling alone, WEARING A CERTAIN BRAND OF HAT. I was angry and humiliated at the time, but its sort of funny, now.

Right after 9/11 I was stopped and my luggage searched. I noticed the other guys being pulled out of the line had beards similar to mine.

It's humiliating to be singled out in a public place for scrutiny by law enforcement. But I'd rather be humiliated than dead....

So to all the young male islamic arabs angry at being profiled at airports: sorry, but you should be angry at the terrorists not the rest of us.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lovesit
    Timothy McVeigh was 28 years old, and QUITE white when he blew up the Federal building in Oklahoma City.

You do fit the profile of someone who wanted to kill large amounts of people, so I'm assuming you now have no problem with being searched at the airports.
    Do I have to explain how flawed this logic is?

And I am not talking about searching ONLY those who fit the profile. Make everyone go through standard security checks, but focus the more detailed checks on those that fit the terrorist profile.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lorill
    But here is the thing... so far, terrorists have NOT come in all shapes and sizes. They fit roughly the same profile. And if we were to start emphasizing the searching of muslim men between the ages of 16 to 50, they may try to find someone outside of that profile to do their work for them. But that is good because when they go outside of their circles, then the likelyhood of others finding out about such plots increases.

Most people agree that profiling would help greatly but make the argument that it is not fair to innocent people that fit the profile and have to be burdened with the extra search.

Oh? Are we talking terrorist organisations in general or just al Qaeda? Because, as i'm sure you must realise, they are not the only organisation that pose a threat. For example...

The youngest ever terrorist bomber was a 7 year old in Colombia. Roughly 30% of the organisations that use 'child soldiers' also include girl soldiers. Underage girls have been present in armed groups in 55 countries.

Of the arrests made by british police last week over the bomb plots, one is a pregnant woman and another is a woman with a six-month old child.

To make matters worse, whats to stop a terrorist organisation from using a 'proxy' bomb. During my time with the armed forces i've seen these in use, where a family is held hostage, the father is told to go to a certain point (i.e an airport or attempt to board a plane) carrying an explosive device. If he refused, his family would be slaughtered in front of him.

I witnessed one day a man with no political ties, no previous record, didnt even fit a profile...attempt to cross a border point in a car laden with explosives. He was stopped, but died when the bomb went off. His family had been held at gunpoint in order to force him to be a suicide bomber.

Terrorists do come in all shapes and sizes, the moment anyone thinks otherwise.....the terrorists will succeed.

Thanks

i am saddened by child soldiers but child bommers just make me angry

who could realy do this?
    kill yourself and your unborn child or your 6 month old
    what did they do
    they cant even sign a legal contract so why do parents make them give up thier precious little life

Thanks

I agree with those who said that there is no single profile for a "terrorist" or any other person that could cause trouble on a plane. Yeah, in the case of 9/11 and in the war in Iraq a lot of guys were young-ish Middle Eastern guys. But I doubt fundamentalist Muslims are the only ones who would love to kill a lot of innocent people. I think with the whole war on terror going on in the media we are forgetting all the other lunatics there are out there and just focusing on Muslims. If we were to focus on Muslims, try focusing on a lot of people-Islam is a religion, not a race. Most of the Muslims on earth (even some of the extremist ones) are actually in Indonesia, so they would look Asian, not Middle Eastern. I think it would make a lot more sense to target the people who usually belong to different kinds of violent, extremest groups: young people, namely young men. But this seems kind of inconvenient, and not totally safe at all.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast